Newcastle City Council is introducing communal bins in some parts of Newcastle where there are problems caused by household bins not being returned to backyards after collection.
The new communal bins will be shared by everyone in the street, replacing the domestic bins currently used by each household, and will:
- Improve the appearance of these lanes where a large number of household bins are frequently left out
- Reduce the amount of 'side waste' left out beside bins
- Help keep lanes clear of abandoned bins so mechanical sweepers can access them and keep them clean
- Reduce the costs of replacing lost bins
- Provide more opportunities to recycle in bigger bins.